Saturday, March 19, 2011

Closing the cracks

Today, I learned that two of my rental properties are within 15 miles of a nuclear power station that IS on a fault line. Soooo, I personally got interested in Dr. Richard Besser's demonstration of HOW to seal a door on Good Morning America (ABC.COM, 3/18/11). (With my luck, something might happen in the once a year appearance to see the properties and how the tenants are doing.) The good doctor used plastic sheeting and duct tape (stretching it across the opening to about 2" around its periphery). Just remember to seal yourself in with everything you need--enough for 3 hours. (No one has mentioned it, but bring something that can serve as a potty seat w/toilet paper.)

I withdraw all my cracks about the useless expense on duct tape in the face of certain death. Besser says you can reduce your exposure to 5 percent by doing this simple thing. (I've also come of age to admit that anything that gives you a shot at staying alive a few extra years cannot be entirely nonsense.)